Monday, January 31, 2011

A New Day a New Year.... And Kindergarten Tours

Where has the time gone???  I have posted a blog more than 6 months ago. 

So far this year, or shall I say since the last of my blog I have gained 2 newphew.... Carter and Declan. 
Kylie turned 5 on December 7th. We had a little party at California Pizza Kitchen.  Christmas came and went.  I am very thankful for that since, Christmas takes a lot of of me.

And now my time is filled up with Kindergaten Tours..... What is a Kindergarten Tour?  If you do not know, count yourself very lucky.  Kylie will be entering Kindergarten in the fall, so I get to go to the different schools in my area and apply for what is called School of Choice.  Our homeschool, Helen Keller Elementary is not the highest rated school in fact it gets 5 out of a possible 10 in testing scores.  What this means, is that Keller is not a top ranked school and has a lot of kids not meeting the standards.  So, I have gone on 4 school tours with at least 3 more to go.  Most of the schools that I really like are rated at least an 8.  There are also parents/teachers that rate the schools with a possiblity of 5 stars.  The schools I really like are 4 and 5 stars. 
Each school tours their school differently and each school offers so many different things.  One school has a Spanish Immersion program.  Kindergarteners will learn Spanish in thier class 90 % of the time.  Their teacher only speaks Spanish.  The kids would go to another teacher for English instruction.  All their school work will be done in Spanish.  Its a highly desired program for the kids in this area.  The kids would continue spanish throughout their Elementary education...decreasing the Spanish as the years continue.
Another School has a Science teacher for all grades and the kids attend Science class once a week, along with Computer Lab once a week and PE twice a week.
As you see, there are a lot of options out in Long Beach...so, I continue my tours and hopefully Kylie will get into 1 of my top 3 choices, or she will have to attend Keller along with the other kids that didnt get into a top school and kids that are busesd in from other areas...

Also, I have applied to House Party and won a party from Tru Moo.  They are sending me a whole bunch of things to throw a Valentine Party.  I can not wait until I get my box tomorrow.  I will post pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment